Monday, March 17, 2008

Rural Education

The day was spent examining the school system in the rural areas. The first part was talking with the principle in Olwebede Primary School. The school did not have running water, but did have electricity. There was a pit toilet, though no toilet paper, and a water tap for the kids to drink from. There were no school fees, which is highly unusual in South Africa, and some sort of free lunch. We didn’t sit in any classes so it was hard for me to really gage the learning, but the infrastructure and the amount of teachers/staff was lacking.

We then headed to the High School where I saw some of my soccer buddies form the day before. Knowing the boys spoke limited English at best, I asked the principle what language the classes were taught in, and she said in English but in Zulu if necessary. The English-home language debate is interesting: the kids need to learn English to go to college and excel in the major cities, but at the same time, they might be getting taught in English but not understanding it which means they are lacking the skills. The balance between learning the material and learning English needs to be closely examined. We talked to the principle and some of the excelling students. I found the principle had to run the school, teach, and act as the disciplinarian and security. I thought that a security guard would not be too much money and possibly make the kids feel safer. I also found it interesting how the principle and the students knew nothing of scholarship opportunities.

After lunch, we were told the school had a performance for us. I thought it was going to be a play or something, but about 20 girls came into the room in traditional Zulu outfits, which means a small skirt and some beads, and danced for us. It was an amazing performance, but I was shocked at how comfortable these girls were topless infornt of their peers and us. I asked Langa if girls from Durban would do such a performance in high school, and he replied “no way”, which gave me the sense of the divide between the rural and the urban.

After the high school, he headed back and got ready for soccer practice. I was very sore from the day before. As we attempting to play, I realized that in the kid’s world everyone plays soccer. I got the feeling that they thought we played soccer everyday like them, but just weren’t that good. It did feel good to get back into the game which I really miss playing. Bathed in a water tap and headed home to Mama Joyce.

No comments: